Saturday, October 20, 2007

Former big wheeler takes on cyclocross and...

crashes. I did my first cyclocross race today. And yes, I did crash, pretty hard. Ankle is swollen and I have bruises and knots on my shins, legs and elbow. Overall I had a great time. What did I learn? Better get on my bike and practice! I knew I wasn't in the greatest shape but didn't realize how much until the start of the race. All the girls took off, I just started peddling. I felt like I should have had a bell on my bike and just wave to people or something because at my speed it would have been more appropriate. Not sure if everyone will get that. Let's just say Becky needs to work on her speed and endurance and bike handling skills. One of the best parts of the race, if not the best, was the cheering section from my team, Blue Sky Velo. They were out in full force with cow bells and water bottles for support. The race would have been a lot harder without them. Props to my Dan as well who was there for me all day and rode my bike back to the car because I had nothing left in me the minute I crossed the finish line.

Beth and me. I think Beth had at least a top 10 finish if not top 5. She's really, really fast!

She's so fast, her picture is blurry!

More race pics.
Jenna, a teammate, crossing the creek. Then we got to climb up a muddy hill. This is one of the best shots of the day. The creek was at my shins when I crossed it.

1 comment:

Michelle Vercellino said...

Your account of your first cyclecross race makes me laugh Becky! It is the exact same conclusions I came to at the end of my first race! You rocked it and should be proud.

Michelle Vercellino