Monday, October 22, 2007

My first swim meet in 12.5 years!


I did my first swim meet in 12.5 years yesterday morning. I'm part of the Broomfield Masters swim team. Our team is the Bee Gees and our suits are yellow with black polka dots. Lovely, uh? I choose to wear all black, it's much more slimming. Luckily my body wasn't hurting too bad after Saturday's "psychocross" event but I still decided to ease my way back into the sport with all 50's - 50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast and 50 free. I even got to do 2 relays, they were coed. That was new. I felt like I was 8 years old at my first swim meet. When they blew the whistle at the start of your heat, does that mean you can get on the blocks? I just looked around to see what everyone was doing. And apparently I wasn't the only one with questions because the starter pretty much always had to say, get on the blocks. But yes, when the whistle blows, you are to get on the blocks. I placed well in all my events and my times were fine. I figured after a 12.5 year layoff all previous times are null and void and I can start all over. The best race was the 50 breast. I got to swim against a former Olympian, Susan Rapp. She kicked my butt but it was still cool. At age 40 she qualified for the 2008 Olympic Trials in the 100 breaststroke. Guess it's never to late to try.

No comments: